Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS
Login

You are here

Boeing Preparing Layoff Notices in Case of Commercial Crew Loss

“It’s just a standard way … to minimize potential business impact,” John Mulholland, Boeing Commercial Crew program manager, said about the possible layoffs. Credit: NASA photo

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — Hoping for the best, but preparing for defeat, Boeing will send out about 215 potential layoff notices to employees currently working on its NASA CST-100 Commercial Crew program.

The 60-day notices, required under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN), were distributed June 20 to about 170 employees in Houston and 45 in Florida in case Boeing is not selected for an upcoming Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) contract, Boeing spokesman Adam Morgan told SpaceNews

“It’s just a standard way … to minimize potential business impact,” said John Mulholland, Boeing Commercial Crew program manager.

The CST-100 capsule is one of three spaceships being developed by private companies in partnership with NASA, which lost the ability to fly astronauts when the U.S. space shuttles were retired in 2011. 

The effort to develop a lower-cost and safer U.S. alternative — and break Russia’s monopoly on station crew transport in the process — is expected to conclude in late August or September when NASA selects one or more space taxi designs for development and test flights. Competing against the Boeing CST-100 are Space Exploration Technologies Corp.’s Dragon capsule and Sierra Nevada Corp.’s Dream Chaser.

“I think it would be hard to close a business case without that backstop of NASA development funds,” Mulholland said. 

Along with the WARN notices, in case of a win Boeing is making contingency offers to about 15 employees in Houston to transfer to Florida, where the CST-100 program will be based. The company also will post 75 expected new jobs in Florida, Morgan said. 

Mulholland said “several hundred” employees currently work on the CST-100 program, including just under 100 in Florida. 

Sierra Nevada currently is not preparing any WARN notices to its Dream Chaser workforce, said company Vice President Mark Sirangelo, who oversees the project. 

SpaceX did not respond to a request for comment. 

Meanwhile, United Launch Alliance, which has agreements to fly both the CST-100 and the Dream Chaser on its Atlas 5 rockets, is preparing to build a crew access tower at its Cape Canaveral Air Force Station launch pad in Florida. 

Contingent on Boeing winning a CCtCap award, the addition to Launch Complex 41 is slated to begin Sept. 1. So far, all of the design work on the tower has been focused on the CST-100, ULA’s Chief Operating Officer Dan Collins said. 

 

RELATED ARTICLES

ISS Cargo Shippers Face Competition from Space Taxis

NASA Says It Will Extend Private ISS Cargo Delivery Contracts Through 2017

Article Comments

Boeing is already a loser by making their program contingent on NASA support. The question is whether NASA will be permitted to acknowledge that by the corrupt Congressional interests who support Boeing.

This is either a declaration that Boeing will not invest its own money in a potentially significant business sector and security area for America or it is a warning to NASA and Congress indicating how many jobs will be lost in key congressional districts if they are not awarded continuing funds. Remember Boeing has agreements in place with Bigelow to serve as a taxi service to their proposed inflatable stations. Bigelow has been waiting to proceed for the advent of these new space taxis. Neither SNC or SpaceX have chosen to play this early layoff warning card. This is why Commercial Crew is looking more like old world business vs New Space.

Add comment

Log in or register to post comments

Career Center

SpaceNews @ the 30th Space Symposium

Mid-Week Show Supplements